News

Schrauben, How-to's, Tips, Daten

Moderator: Moderator

News

Beitragvon Racing » 6. Jan 2007, 17:32

As you guys know by now i´m more or less into a love affair with the 16V.
Well..in my efforts to go faster i also conclude what needs to be changed within the little engine-as the need arises.
So far then;

New connecting rods(pleuels) made out of swedish tool room steel are in the works.
Reason for not going more exotic materials is of course to keep within the "street" idea of the concept.
No idea what these will take as far as power,but i wouldn´t be surprised if we´ve doubled the stock numbers of the early rods.(IOW 8-900PS)

Valves.
This has been an area of interest to say the least.
Point here is that back in the 80s a lot of engines got sodium filled exhaust valve stems.The thing is...they´re normally still two piece valves(which is bad from a longevity and load standpoint),and they´re expensive as hell to boot.
Likewise...i can´t really see the need for an 8mm valve stem-again seing the progress made by the industry in materials.

So...
The quest for a LIGHTER,CHEAPER and more TOLERANT exhaust valve began.
Turns out...that stainless valves of the corrent lenght and valve diameter as well as stem diameter was already in existance....which is the "tuner" valves in stainless for the 16V volvo.
Only that...you use the intake valve and cut the valve diameter down a little(1mm) in a valve and cut new keeper grooves..
If need be,and economy if of SERIOUS concern another valve that can be used is the OEM valve for the peugeot 206.
Main concern when i´ve looked around has been that most engines have way to SHORT valve stems to be able to convert them to our engines.
Peugeot valves are approx 1/8 in cost of the stock valve!!!!!

So...what does it take?
Well...not much to be honest.
As one now uses 7mm stems on both intake and exhaust..we simply install the intake valve guides in all 16 holes and use 16 intake valve stem seals to boot.
There after...one simply overhauls the head per normal.

Apart from cost savings,what benefits?

Several really...
Weight...
The 7mm exhaust valves in question are considerably lighter than the stock ones.This will REDUCE load on both the valve per se,the valve spring and the seat.
Has a number of advantages.
For instance...valve springs will last longer.
You will be able to rev higher without spring oscillation(valve float)
You will be able to go longe between head overhauls.

Which...in turn brings us to the next topic-which is the valve spring retainers.
These are normally cut out of titanium on race engines.
However...titanium is expensive-as hell.
So..altho i´m going to have a couple of sets cut for my own engine out of titanium,we settled for a VERY good quality forged aluminium for the more "average" engines.Aluminium is called "Alumek" and can be speced at; Uddeholm
Alumek does NOT carry the typical drawbacks of regular aluminium-one of the foremost being that aluminium "work hardens" over time.
This MIGHT lead to retainers breaking-which Alumek WILL NOT.
Advantage,and general concept of using this material-again...is to keep valve weight down.See above.

Pistons then.
Well...
I´ve settled for the forged Mahles that were delivered stock for the Volvo B23E engine.
Why?
Again...
1/Cost.These slugs are approx 1/4 of the cost of the stock mercedes 16Vs.
Yes,they will need to be modified a bit when it comes to valve cutouts and so forth...but the cutting time is minimal.
2/I want to retain the concept of a HEAVY 24mm piston pin.Reason is that this is a streetmotor,and high end turbo engines put a tremendous amount of stress on the piston pin per se.
3/They are readily available-off the shelf.
4/The stock bore of the B23 is half a mm more than the 102.983 engine.
That means that there are pistons available as far as your heart desires when it comes to overbore if need be.
Racing
maxi Ventiler
maxi Ventiler

Beitragvon Racing » 6. Jan 2007, 17:38

Alumek PDF

As can be seen this aluminium forging is amongst other stuff used for making tools that need to be light.
Says a thing or two about it properties.

By simple,common anodizing we can reach a HRC of 65...and that´s some hard stuff boys.
Racing
maxi Ventiler
maxi Ventiler

Beitragvon NullPositiv » 6. Jan 2007, 17:59

chris martens?
kannst du mal bitte fuer die ossi´s?
du weist schon...

ja auch fuer mich!
so jetzt ist es raus...
Team-Moderation des w201-16v.de Forum
Bild
NullPositiv

Bilder: 21

Beitragvon Chris Martens » 7. Jan 2007, 12:29

As you guys know by now i´m more or less into a love affair with the 16V.
Well..in my efforts to go faster i also conclude what needs to be changed within the little engine-as the need arises.
So far then;

Wie Ihr ja wißt, habe ich eine recht heftige Beziehung mit den Sechzehnventilern.
Tja... aus meinen Anstrengungen, schneller zu werden, habe ich mal zusammengefaßt, was in der kleinen Maschine alles geändert werden muß, wenn man denn braucht.
So weit also;

New connecting rods(pleuels) made out of swedish tool room steel are in the works.
Reason for not going more exotic materials is of course to keep within the "street" idea of the concept.
No idea what these will take as far as power,but i wouldn´t be surprised if we´ve doubled the stock numbers of the early rods.(IOW 8-900PS)

Neue Pleuelstangen aus schwedischem Werkzeugstahl sind in Arbeit.
Um die Idee des "Straßenwagens" zu erhalten, will ich keine besonders exotischen Materialien verwenden.
Keine Ahnung, welche Leistung die vertragen, aber ich wäre nicht überrascht, wenn wir die Serienwerte der frühen Pleuel verdoppeln könnten (also 800-900PS).

Valves.
This has been an area of interest to say the least.
Point here is that back in the 80s a lot of engines got sodium filled exhaust valve stems.The thing is...they´re normally still two piece valves(which is bad from a longevity and load standpoint),and they´re expensive as hell to boot.
Likewise...i can´t really see the need for an 8mm valve stem-again seing the progress made by the industry in materials.

Ventile.
Dies ist ein interessantes Gebiet, vorsichtig gesagt.
Die Sache ist die, daß damals in den 80ern vielen Motoren natriumgefüllte Auslaßventile hatten. Diese bestehen normalerweise aus zwei Teilen (was schlecht für Dauerhaltbarkeit und Belastbarkeit ist), und sie sind verdammt teuer.
Andererseits... kann ich die Notwendigkeit für einen 8mm Ventilschaft nicht sehen - wenn man berücksichtigt, welche Fortschritte die Industrie bei den Materialien gemacht hat.

So...
The quest for a LIGHTER,CHEAPER and more TOLERANT exhaust valve began.
Turns out...that stainless valves of the corrent lenght and valve diameter as well as stem diameter was already in existance....which is the "tuner" valves in stainless for the 16V volvo.
Only that...you use the intake valve and cut the valve diameter down a little(1mm) in a valve and cut new keeper grooves..
If need be,and economy if of SERIOUS concern another valve that can be used is the OEM valve for the peugeot 206.
Main concern when i´ve looked around has been that most engines have way to SHORT valve stems to be able to convert them to our engines.
Peugeot valves are approx 1/8 in cost of the stock valve!!!!!

So...
begann die Jagd nach einem LEICHTEREN, BILLIGEREN und TOLERANTEREN Auslaßventil.
Stellt sich heraus... daß es bereits rostfreie Ventile der richtigen Länge und mit richtigem Ventil- sowie Schaftdurchmesser gibt... es sind die "Tuner" Ventile in der rostfreien Ausführung für einen 16V Volvo.
Nun... man nimmt das Einlaßventil, dreht den Ventilteller ein Bißchen ab (1mm) und schneidet neue Haltenuten in den Schaft...
Bei Bedarf und wenn man ERNSTHAFT Geld sparen muß, kann man auch die Serienventile eines Peugeot 206 nehmen.
Das größte Hindernis ist, daß die meisten Motoren viel zu KURZE Ventilschäfte haben, als daß man sie für unsere Motoren umbauen könnte.
Peugeot Ventile kosten ungefähr 1/8 der Serienventile!!!!!

So...what does it take?
Well...not much to be honest.
As one now uses 7mm stems on both intake and exhaust..we simply install the intake valve guides in all 16 holes and use 16 intake valve stem seals to boot.
There after...one simply overhauls the head per normal.

So... was ist zu tun?
Nun ja... nicht viel ehrlich gesagt.
Wie man sieht, nimmt man 7mm Schäfte auf sowohl Einlaß und Auslaßseite... wir bauen also die Ventilführungen und Schaftdichtungen für die Einlaßventile in alle 16 Löcher.
Danach... überholt man den Kopf ganz normal.

Apart from cost savings,what benefits?

Several really...
Weight...
The 7mm exhaust valves in question are considerably lighter than the stock ones.This will REDUCE load on both the valve per se,the valve spring and the seat.
Has a number of advantages.
For instance...valve springs will last longer.
You will be able to rev higher without spring oscillation(valve float)
You will be able to go longe between head overhauls.

Mal abgesehen von der Kosteneinsparung, was bringt's?

Einiges...
Gewicht...
Die in Frage kommenden 7mm Auslaßventile sind deutlich leichter, als die Serienteile. Dies REDUZIERT die Belastung für das Ventil selbst, die Ventifeder und den Sitz.
Dies hat eine Vielzahl von Vorteilen.
Zum Beispiel... die Ventilfedern halten länger.
Man kann höher drehen, ohne daß die Ventile flattern.
Man kommt lange ohne Überholung des Kopfes aus.

Which...in turn brings us to the next topic-which is the valve spring retainers.

Das... bringt uns gleich zum nächsten Kandidaten - die Federteller der Ventilfedern.

These are normally cut out of titanium on race engines.
However...titanium is expensive-as hell.
So..altho i´m going to have a couple of sets cut for my own engine out of titanium,we settled for a VERY good quality forged aluminium for the more "average" engines.Aluminium is called "Alumek" and can be speced at; Uddeholm
Alumek does NOT carry the typical drawbacks of regular aluminium-one of the foremost being that aluminium "work hardens" over time.
This MIGHT lead to retainers breaking-which Alumek WILL NOT.
Advantage,and general concept of using this material-again...is to keep valve weight down.See above.

Die sind bei Rennmotoren normalerweise aus Titan.
Allerdings... ist Titan unverschähmt teuer.
So... obwohl ich mir einen paar Sätze für meinen eigenen Motor aus Titan gefertigt habe, haben wir uns für die eher "durchschnittlichen" Motoren für ein qualitativ HOCHWERTIGES Schmiedealuminium entschieden. Das Aluminium heißt "Alumek", die Daten findet Ihr hier bei: Uddeholm
Alumek hat NICHT die typischen Nachteile von gewöhnlichem Aluminium - besonders sei die Versprödung im Dauerbetrieb genannt.
Dies KÖNNTE zum Bruch der Federteller führen - was bei Alumek NICHT PASSIERT.
Der Vorteil und die grundsätzliche Zielsetzung für die Verwendung dieses Materials ist - wiederum... das Gewicht des Ventils gering zu halten. Siehe oben.

Pistons then.
Well...
I´ve settled for the forged Mahles that were delivered stock for the Volvo B23E engine.
Why?
Again...
1/Cost.These slugs are approx 1/4 of the cost of the stock mercedes 16Vs.
Yes,they will need to be modified a bit when it comes to valve cutouts and so forth...but the cutting time is minimal.
2/I want to retain the concept of a HEAVY 24mm piston pin.Reason is that this is a streetmotor,and high end turbo engines put a tremendous amount of stress on the piston pin per se.
3/They are readily available-off the shelf.
4/The stock bore of the B23 is half a mm more than the 102.983 engine.
That means that there are pistons available as far as your heart desires when it comes to overbore if need be.

Kommen wir zu den Kolben...
Tja...
Ich habe mich für die Schmiedekolben von Mahle entschieden, die serienmäßig im Volvo B23E Motor verwendet werden.
Warum?
Nochmal...
1. Kosten. Diese Dinger kosten ca. 1/4 der Serienkolben eines Mercedes 16V.
Ja, sie müssen ein bißchen bearbeitet werden, Ventiltaschen ausfräsen und so weiter... aber die Bearbeitungszeit ist gering.
2. Ich wollte die Konstruktion mit einem DICKEN 24mm Kolbenbolzen behalten. Dies ist ein Straßenmotor und high end Turbomotoren belasten den Kolbenbolzen schon sehr stark.
3. Es gibt sie überall, fertig aus dem Regal.
4. Die Standardbohrung des B23 Motors ist einen halben mm größer, als die des M102.983.
Das heißt, daß es Kolben bis zum Abwinken gibt, wenn man mal in die Verlegenheit kommt, Übergrößen zu benötigen.

Übersetzungsfehler by Chris Martens

enjoy,
Christian
Chris Martens
hyper-ventilator
hyper-ventilator

Bilder: 19
Autos: ja

Beitragvon Racing » 7. Jan 2007, 13:00

Christian.
You´re fantastic.
Thanx a million.

Jesper
Racing
maxi Ventiler
maxi Ventiler

Beitragvon Henger » 8. Jan 2007, 01:47

Hi Jesper,

das sind meiner Meinung nach alles sehr gute Ansätze :D 8) die du uns aufzeigst.

Es ist sehr gut zu wissen daß es Alternativen zu den Serienteilen gibt, wie wir ja alle wissen sind die Preise für Kolben, Ventile, Pleul usw. schon astronomisch hoch und wahrscheinlich werden sie in naher Zukunft noch weiter steigen :cry:.
Du mußt uns unbedingt auf dem laufenden halten was eure /deine Weiterentwickelung in diesen Bereichen angeht!!
Die Aussicht sich im Ersatzteilregal von Volvo, Peugot oder selbstgefertigten guten Teilen zu niedrigen Preisen bedienen zu können....ist Spitze :thumbright: :@g

Mach doch mal ein paar Bilder von den abgeänderten Volvo Kolben bzw.Ventilen.

Ich möchte mich an dieser Stelle auch mal bedanken bei dir Jesper :kiss , du bist einer der Jungs die wirklich viel Ahnung haben und sich nicht zu schade sind dieses Wissen mit anderen zu teilen :wink:

Gruß Fränk
Mitglied im 190E-16V Club e.V.
Bild

Team-Moderation des w201-16v.de Forum
Bild

"16V Fahren, ich kann jederzeit damit aufhören, ährlisch"

Wenn die letzte Tankstelle schließt, wird Euch auffallen,
daß Greenpeace nachts kein Bier verkauft.
Henger
Administrator
Administrator

Bilder: 26
Autos: 2.5-16V EFI Bj.11/88 Erna

Beitragvon Nagilum » 8. Jan 2007, 02:00

Jep, ein :party auf den Jesper :)
"Verbreitet ist die Bezeichnung Freund, doch selten ist die Treue."
- Phaedrus, Fabeln
Nagilum
hyper-ventilator
hyper-ventilator